Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

More Than Just a Game

Every day is a game of Truth or Dare.

I wake each morning,
sit on the edge of my bed
and in no uncertain terms
ask myself, "Truth or Dare?"

Truth means curling up in a little ball
lying back down in bed and
dreaming my life away.

Truth means accepting and giving (myself) into
the pain, the fear, the anxiety & the depression
that riddles my mind and body.

Truth means not fighting every day
to breathe.

Each morning I wake,
sit on the edge of myself
and with uncertainty
ask myself, "Truth or Dare?"

Dare means nothing extraordinary
just walking aimlessly through life
mask affixed
cloaked in doubts & uneasiness.

Dare means struggling every day
to keep the tears at bay.

Every day is a game of Truth or Dare,
but really it should be Truth or Dare or
Dare the Truth.

Dare the Truth = not giving in to it
                         = not living with it
but rather daring it to come at me
                               to knock me down
                               to smother me
                               to take its best shot
while I dare to believe in me.



On inspiration for this piece: This idea was pulled from Poetic Asides's 2015 April PAD Challenge: Day 8. The theme for this prompt was dare.  


4 comments:

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Fantastic - this is brave and vulnerable and ultimately, a great heroic twist at the end.

Vandana Sharma said...

Ah! lovely as always and yes, being a daring person we can accomplish much more and truth is an integral part of being daring.

Jae Rose said...

Keep believing in you...but yes..can totally empathise with the whole concept of truth or dare and how it can become muddled up

Mary said...

Fascinating idea to ask oneself 'Truth or Dare' each day. I think if a person lives so consciously like this that it cannot help but make a difference in what one accomplishes.