Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

Beneath

Always I affix the mask just so,
stealing strength to simply say hello;
feelings bind me up inside and I
know no other way except to lie –
sew the pain and fear inside the seams
tucking them away beside my dreams;
f**k myself & what I want – too scared…
weak…
               pathetic…
                                  well beyond repair
seek no further than the mask I wear
all you need to know, dear friend, is there.



An aside:  I'm not really much of a curser, so for the full affect, you will need to appropriately replace the asterisks.

A note on form: This piece is a variation on the Framed Couplet. I did take a slight liberty with the one line (breaking it over three). 

On inspiration for this piece: This idea was pulled from Poetic Asides's 2015 April PAD Challenge: Day 6. The theme for this prompt was things-not-as-they-appear.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Good for you--taking up the PAD Challenge. Enjoyed your response to this obscure prompt.

Jeff said...

Deep emotion here--the pain of alienation, hiddenness, is perfectly described.

Jennifer Wagner said...

Strong piece, RMP. Enjoyed your use of form here.