Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

NOTES

NOTES
music
vibrations

internal rhythm
unwinds on mellow waves
harmonizing with the world

"makings for poetry with sound."



A note on form:  I was a bit nostalgic for the clarity pyramid this morning.  It has been quite some time since I last wrote to this form.  For some reason, I have always found this form interesting and a bit challenging; granted I often wrote it to the 3WW challenge, which added extra constraints.  Typically the syllable constraints (1,2,3 // 5,6,7 // 8) lend themselves toward a triangular structure (thus pyramid), but as is the case with some crazy multi-syllable words this effect is not always fully achieved. This piece would be an example of minor departures.

On inspiration for this piece:  Over at dVerse Poets Pub, Poetics is exploring the influence of music.  I have often felt a very strong connection to music.  I actually wrote a series of poems that focused on the cathartic effects of music on me when the world is spinning out of control. This piece has overtones of the same.  I also (for almost a year) would write a poem a week inspired by a piece of music.  It was definitely a fun and enjoyable (though sometime frustrating) experience.


7 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice deconstruction in this...
sound is an essential element of poetry...imho

Claudia said...

yes - it is poetry with sound... and i like how it makes us feel the words even more if you add a tune and a rhythm to them

brudberg said...

Indeed music is those set of sweet tones building up harmonies.

Victoria said...

I do like that form. It's so true that music and poetry go hand-in-hand, isn't it.

Vandana Sharma said...

Poetry and music a great combination

Jeff said...

I've missed these clarity poems--I like the way each line defines with a little more exactness what you are trying to express. I especially like "harmonizing with the world." Excellent!

Mary said...

I do think music can be poetry, and poetry can be music! Nicely penned.