Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

A Tale of Love and Woe (Revived)

Approximately a month and a half ago, I began a series here called A Tale of Love & Woe - Lovers' Song.  To date there are five pieces in this collection.  But this collection, as mentioned in the first post, is a spin off of a ballad I wrote (what seems like) forever ago.  What started off as a simple exploration of the ballad form turned into ten separate acts; the first posted February 2, 2011 and the final one posted June 13, 2011.  It was a painstaking write for me (being fond of neither strict meter or rhyme).  In the end, I admit I was so exhausted of the form that the last act was really a farce.  I have provided it below to prove how pathetic an ending it turned out to be.

The worst part about the ending is that it implied there was another tale to be told.  If I had a hard enough time making it through this tale, was there really ever going to be a continuation.  (No would be the answer to this rhetorical question.)  In my head (or maybe more my heart), I knew that I would inevitably return to this final act and give it justice.  So, approximately 33 months later, after having written my first five spin-off pieces, I decided it was time to revive this tale and give it its due.  (It has taken me almost a month to write this and, to be quite honest, I am still putting the finishing touches on it.)

That being said, over the next five days (not including today), I will be posting the ballad, A Tale of Love and Woe, (two acts per day) with a more satisfying ending.




A Tale of Love and Woe:  Act X - The End

I thought to tell a tale of love
but truth should not dismiss
this tale I spoke did hold much woe
for hearts that found true bliss

It happened quite some time ago
when dragons roamed the land
where knight and princess had their place
perchance with hand in hand

Alas we see our lovers there
their hearts still marred and frail
what shall become of their sweet love
(hmmm) that be another tale


No comments: