Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

(Tree) Grounded on the Breeze



Memories course within
veins buried deep beneath
the earth's lush surface
stowing mistakes
                 wrongs
                       scars
providing strength
                   balance
                      purchase

Emotions sway along
nerve-endings stirred by
the wind's brazen graze
stealing fears
              heartships
                             pain
rustling hopes
               desires
                        love



Inspiration for this piece and Behind the image:  Recently at dVerse Poets Pub, the topic of conversation has been about trees.  So, after reading several pieces about trees, it is no wonder that trees have been on my mind.  So much so that I could not help but dig up a work the picture and words of a former student.  It has been over 10 years since I had this student in my classroom, but I have always held on to this piece...tucking it away safely and carrying it with me as I moved around from one building to another.  What first drew me to this was the art...mainly 'cause I can't draw to save my life.  The second was the words he had written along side the drawing.  While most things did not necessarily come easily to him (particularly the subject I taught), he could draw as only I could ever wish to.  hmm...I think I've gotten a bit off track; not really unusual for me.  Anyway...this piece builds from his words...in particular, "memories" and "emotions."  The roots we bury and the limbs we allow to sway.

4 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ah its cool they are from a former student...was wondering if it was yours...i like how the wind takes away the hard stuff replacing it with hope & love...

brudberg said...

I can so much relate to this.. to be like a tree.. the ups and down of season, and being reborn ... and receiving a drawing like this is a true privilege...

Claudia said...

that is a very cool drawing and i like how you "translated" the movement into words... the being grounded in the breeze and how things change for better with the wind

Jennifer Wagner said...

I like how the structure you gave your poem lends itself to a sense of serenity, at least it does for me, especially coupled with the sketch.